Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Love Those Hanky Boxes!

This is my very own trinket box. I've been saving vintage (or just particularly cheesy) Mill's & Boon covers for some time, as well as various pictures I like for whatever (or no) reason. When my Dah (grandfather) died, my Grandma got a little poodle like this one (Pepe), so I do think of this as Grandma's Hanky Box. The chandelier spares are all from her vast collection (that's added to my vast collection and the remnants of Mum's vast collection). This cat (on the base) looks just like my last cat (aged 18) (I was 18, not the cat). Kitty. And the pictures, or covers, are those I really liked together. It's impossible to get really old covers now, around here anyway.
Inside are all of the rude bits. The panting, the love puddings etc. And the inner base is part of a map of Paris I lugged around on my adventure and have kept since. I cut the base with the maps of where I stayed and it holds all of the necessary memories, so I threw out the rest of the map and felt terrific and lighter and terribly efficient. Memory intact.
I usually go with a theme, not stick disparate images together, so this felt quite free and unusually whimsical! An indulgence, just for my new shed (it will be a 'writing' shed, ha ha ha). Just need the shed, and a plan of something to put in the box. And a habit of writing. And perhaps a cup of tea, hang on a second...
The pattern is 6 (rather than 8) panels of Granny's Christmas Card Box. Pattern there...


Love this painterly style.

Emile Zola cover. I didn't realise at the time, or I mightn't have torn it off. Now I need to buy it again.
 

Bit rude. And the highlighted street I stayed in in Paris. 

 
Next (below) is my friend's Christmas present, so I hope she doesn't read this blog. This particular friend has a million dollar admin mind, and likes crap books (sometimes) to keep it real, or to not have to think. I borrowed a Load of old romances from her once, hoping to get the drift and write my own (I will, I will). She's mildly ashamed and also couldn't give a shit what anyone thinks about her reading them. My closest friend (girl one).


Base. This box is smaller. The pattern is the same as Jo's Naughty Box, and Zoe's Hanky Box. You'll find a print out of the pattern... read it because I made adjustments but haven't redrawn the pattern (no scanner anymore to upload).
Button from Grandma's stash again. Go Grandma. I think my grand daughter will be saying this one day! When she does amazing things with the remnants of her grandmother and so on's stashes (added to her own).
Look in 'Crochet' for other patterns of boxes, for hankies or tissue boxes etc. And in there is a TUTORIAL, with what's and where from's of equipment that I have used. 

Let me know if you want anything and I'll see what I can do to make your path to Loads of Fun easier.

3 comments:

The Sea Garden said...

Wonderful! I must make one.

Dianne Murcutt said...

I love these boxes robyne..I have 4. 2 I bought, 1 from the op shop and 1 just given to me by my friend, it belonged to her mother all in Christmas Cards, which I shall keep Christmas Gift Cards in. I shall look up your tutorial in the New Year and try to do one myself. Not everyone likes them but I love them xxoo

Penny-Rose said...

Best description of how to make these boxes I have ever read. I love your photos.